ACRONYM is a nonprofit organization committed to building power and digital infrastructure for the progressive movement. Since its creation in March 2017, ACRONYM has run dozens of targeted media programs to educate, inspire, register, and mobilize voters, and has worked with dozens of partners to accelerate their advocacy programs and investments.
ACRONYM is seeking a Computational Social Scientist to help us advance this work. This is a full-time position and can be based in Washington, D.C., or New York.
Computational Social Scientist
Reporting to: Chief Scientist
- You’re interested in the intersection of data, tech, and politics to further the progressive mission. You’re dedicated to the use of multiple kinds of data, modeling, and the scientific method to figuring out what works and what doesn’t.
- You can bring creativity and new ideas and aren’t afraid to fail. You transparently communicate about mistakes so that everyone on your team learns from them.
- You have an understanding of the social science relevant to political campaigns and know how to quickly read social science articles for relevant insights.
- You understand survey research: total survey error, sampling trade-offs, question-wording issues, non-response, weighting, fatigue.
- You understand causal inference and have experience analyzing field- and/or web- experiments. You understand power, pre-post designs, conditional average treatment effects, non-compliance, and differential attrition.
- You understand both the potential and the limitations of data and are able to explain complicated concepts to non-technical audiences.
- You have 3-6 years experience using Python and R, and are familiar with common data science libraries and packages.
- You can wrangle a large data set (input, clean, transform, output) quickly and cleanly.
- You have experience using task management systems (we use Asana), and can handle a variety of projects and work with a variety of teams.
- You’ve held at least one data-heavy role, preferably within a political environment.
- You’re familiar with Rmarkdown and/or other automated report/dashboard-generation frameworks.
- You’ve used simulation approaches for estimation and to conduct power analysis (including using frameworks like DeclareDesign).
- You understand the basics of machine learning: prediction, bias/variance tradeoff, regularization, overfitting, cross-validation, etc.
- You have experience using APIs, AWS, Google Cloud, GitHub, or Civis Platform.
- You’ve taken a few NLP/text as data courses and have used SKLearn, Gensim, Keras, NLTK, etc. for text data.
- You have experience labeling data/conducting content analysis. You understand how to validate labels and combine for maximum accuracy.
- You have worked with digital ad platforms (Facebook, Google) or with Google Analytics.
- You’ve worked with voter file data, census data, and related models.
- You’ve planned, managed, and/or analyzed digital ad campaigns or have experience working with Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, or tracking web traffic.
- Work with the experimentation team developing methods and infrastructure for digital field experimentation to better understand what kind of messaging resonates with what kinds of people.
- Use social science to inform research to increase the effectiveness of advertising and mobilization.
- Support analytics-focused projects across ACRONYM, including understanding how to mobilize voters to support our Expanding the Electorate project.
- Help develop systems to create earned media metrics.
- Build universes of people for digital campaigns using lists, voter file data, and other digital sources across campaigns, teams, and platforms.
Compensation + benefits
Starting salary: $120,000 / annually
We believe in compensating hard work, talent and innovation, especially because of our progressive values, not despite them. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
ACRONYM also offers a competitive benefits package including a full suite of health benefits, paid time off, and flexible working arrangements.
Interested? Click here to submit your application. We look forward to hearing from you!
Our Commitment to Equitable Hiring
ACRONYM is a 501(c)4 digital campaign lab and an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.