ACRONYM is an organization committed to building political power and digital infrastructure for the progressive movement. We design and deploy strategic media, advertising and organizing programs to advance this mission and develop resources and trainings to empower other progressive organizations and campaigns to leverage digital tools, tactics and platforms to reach, inspire and mobilize people to take civic and political action. We believe in integrity, innovation, radical honesty, creative and measurable impact — and infuse those values into every program and partnership we take on.
ACRONYM is seeking a Data Strategist to help us advance this work. This is a full-time position and can be based in Washington DC or New York. Click here to apply!
Reporting to: Data Director
- You can learn new skills and tools quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re creative and innovative — not afraid to take a risk to follow a hunch.
- You’re interested in sharing your knowledge with teammates and learning from them.
- You understand both the potential and the limitations of data and are able to explain complicated concepts to non-technical audiences.
- You’re at home in a spreadsheet and are able to present data in a way that’s clear, compelling, and actionable.
- You have at least basic SQL skills (we use Redshift and BigQuery).
- You have strong time management and project management skills, with the ability to handle a variety of workstreams, deadlines, stakeholders, and teammates.
- You have an astute attention to detail and take great pride in your work product.
- You are responsible, organized, and understand the importance of documentation.
- You’ve held at least one data-heavy role, preferably within a political environment.
- You’ve worked with voter file data, census data, and related models.
- You’ve planned, managed, and/or analyzed digital ad campaigns or have experience working with Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, or tracking web traffic.
- You’ve built reports and dashboards in Excel, Google Sheets, Google Data Studio, Tableau, Periscope, or similar and have many thoughts about data visualization.
- You have more advanced SQL skills, including understanding of query optimization in Amazon Redshift and/or Google BigQuery.
- You can program in R or Python and are familiar with common libraries and packages.
- You’re comfortable automating with APIs, AWS, Google Cloud, or Civis Platform.
- You can wrangle a large data set (input, clean, transform, output) quickly and cleanly.
- You have experiencing training staff on data-related and technical tools.
- You are familiar with statistical concepts and application within political field experiments (ITT, TOT, MDE); you have experience designing, running, or analyzing experiments.
There are no formal education requirements for this position.
- Serve as a thought leader—both internally and externally—on the most appropriate uses and applications of our data and how we can better optimize our programs.
- Strategize with Campaign Directors on every piece of our campaigns: who we should be targeting, how we determine that, who we’re missing, how we’ll evaluate results and appropriately measure impact.
- Work with Media staff to analyze campaign performance and chart appropriate metrics.
- Design universes in SQL, work with practitioners to facilitate folks pulling their own lists, and develop systems to track universes across campaigns, teams, and platforms.
- Collaborate with Communications Team to analyze Ad Transparency Data as part of ACRONYM’s FWIW newsletter and related projects. Maintain current products, work with partners and media to identify additional needs, and explore what additional insights we can gain from the data.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary for this role is $80,000/year and will be commensurate with experience. We believe in compensating hard work, talent and innovation, especially because of our progressive values, not despite them.
ACRONYM also offers a competitive benefits package including a full suite of health benefits, paid time off, and flexible working arrangements.
Interested? Click here to submit your application. We look forward to hearing from you!
ACRONYM is a 501(c)4 digital campaign lab and an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.