Hi! We’re ACRONYM.
We’re a non-profit committed to building power and lasting digital infrastructure for a new progressive movement.
We design, develop, and deploy sophisticated digital marketing campaigns to advance progressive causes. But no more dry, traditional political ads — we want to entertain and make people feel something by combining culture and politics in new, fresh, and compelling ways.
To do this, we’re building the best and most diverse creative team in politics. And we’re looking for innovative creative content makers from inside and outside politics who aren’t afraid to take some strategic, interesting swings.
To advance this work, ACRONYM is seeking a Designer. This is a full-time position and will be based in Washington D.C. Click here to apply!
Using your creative thinking skills and diverse range of styles and techniques, you know how to bring ideas to life visually for a variety of audiences, finding original and eye-grabbing ways to communicate stories, both in static graphics and video.
You are not just an executor. Ideation and conceptual skills are key here, with room to bring in big ideas and innovative visual narratives. A strong visual concept could be the foundation of an entire digital ad campaign and inform other forms of content. You will work hand-in-hand with Content Producers, Creative Strategists, Editors, Motion Graphics Editors, and other Designers to develop visual campaign concepts and bring them to fruition, consulting directly with the Head of Content or a Sr. Producer.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A dynamic, highly conceptual, and innovative creative thinker that loves making digital content. You should have the ability to tell a wide variety of stories of varying tones and styles. From digital ads to illustration and high-polish design to memes, you will do it all. If there are specific areas you specialize in, that’s great too.
- Unafraid to question convention, loves blue sky brainstorming, always asks “what if,” and constantly brings fresh ideas to the table even when they’re not asked to, but can also turn that idea into a piece of content on a dime.
- Has a deep understanding of pop culture, Internet culture, digital video and social media platforms from YouTube to TikTok, and how people consume digital content. Fluency in memes and animated GIFs is a big plus.
- Politically engaged. You don’t have to have direct political experience, but you have to have a voracious appetite for current affairs. The wind changes direction constantly in our business and we must always be prepared to respond.
- Has a proven track record of being a team player, collaborating with other teams and a variety of stakeholders to ensure full understanding of creative and strategic objectives, execute projects accurately, and deliver them on time.
- Has a nimble and flexible attitude as project needs and deadlines can and will be dynamic.
- Unfazed by a fast-paced, high stakes environment with fast turnaround times. Comfortable juggling multiple projects at one time.
- A scrappy and resourceful problem solver who proactively seeks out answers.
- Lives in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area (or is willing to relocate).
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 4-6 years of work experience in digital, social media, advertising, or marketing graphic design roles.
- Demonstrated track record of executing ideas on tight turnaround times.
- Expert in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Creative Cloud, and other associated tools.
- Believes that a picture is worth 1,000 words and that graphic design is a storytelling vehicle in and of itself and not just a way to make things look pretty.
- Exceptional creative thinking skills that exhibit a range of varied styles and techniques
- Paid digital content experience or advanced experience working with short form content, primarily :15s (but also :06’s, :30s, 1:00s).
- Great eye for style, design, and typography with a strong, diverse portfolio of examples to back it up.
- Insatiable curiosity for new and innovative design techniques and solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Content Producers, Creative Strategists, Editors, and Motion Graphics Editors to develop visual concepts and narratives
- Comfortable and adept at pitching ideas under the guidance and direction of the Head of Content or Sr. Producer.
- Always open and willing to experiment with different versions of a concept, exploring multiple directions, and incorporating data and analytics insights into creative refreshes as needed.
Big plus if you have:
- UX design experience
- Motion graphics experience
- Illustration skills
- Animation skills
- Fluency in meme and animated GIF culture and experience making them
Along with your resume, interested applicants should include a website, portfolio, work samples, or reel demonstrating their previous work. If you’ve only had the opportunity to work on traditional political ads or on creatively safe projects, show us what you do when no one is looking, what hits the cutting room floor, spec work, or your personal passion projects to show us what you can really do.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary for this role is $60,000/year and will be commensurate with experience. We believe in compensating hard work, talent and innovation, especially because of our progressive values, not despite them.
ACRONYM also offers a competitive benefits package including a full suite of health benefits, paid time off, and flexible working arrangements.
Interested? Click here to submit your application. We look forward to hearing from you!
ACRONYM is a 501(c)4 digital campaign lab and an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.