We design, develop, and deploy sophisticated digital marketing campaigns to advance progressive causes. But no more dry, traditional political ads — we want to entertain and make people feel something by combining culture and politics in new ways.
To do this, we’re building the best and most diverse creative team in politics. And we’re looking for innovative creative content makers who aren’t afraid to take some interesting, but strategic swings.
Graphic Designer (Contract)
We’re looking for a versatile Graphic Designer who can employ a variety of techniques, styles, and aesthetics to create visual assets for targeted social media and digital ad campaigns, from static graphics to display ads to animated GIFs.
However, you are not just an executor. Ideation and conceptual skills are key here, with room to bring in big ideas and innovative visual narratives. A strong visual concept could be the foundation of an entire digital ad campaign and inform other forms of content. You will work hand-in-hand with Content Producers, Video and Motion Graphics Editors, and other Designers to produce graphic assets that support our strategic narratives. Interested? Click here to apply!
What we expect of all of our creatives:
- You’re unafraid to question convention and love blue sky brainstorming. You always ask “what if,” and aren’t shy about bringing fresh ideas to the table even when you’re not asked to.
- You have a deep understanding of pop culture, Internet culture, digital video, and social media platforms from YouTube to TikTok, and how people consume digital content.
- You have a proven track record of being a team player, collaborating with other teams and a variety of stakeholders to ensure full understanding of creative and strategic objectives, to execute projects accurately, and deliver them on time.
- You have a nimble and flexible attitude as project needs and deadlines can and will be dynamic.
- You are unfazed by a fast-paced, high stakes environment with fast turnaround times. You’re comfortable code-switching frequently and juggling multiple projects at one time.
- You’re a scrappy and resourceful problem solver who proactively seeks out answers.
- You have good sensibility and judgment for what is and is not culturally appropriate.
- You don’t have an ego. You have strong opinions, loosely held.
- You’re kind.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work collaboratively with a team of creatives to develop, pitch, and produce integrated social media and digital-first content for our paid media campaigns.
- Own the development, design, and production of graphic assets, from static ads to memes to infographics. While you’ll work on some organic content, the bulk of your responsibility will be paid content.
- Partner with Video and Motion Graphics Editors and other Graphic Designers to help enhance the visual impact of all our digital content across the board.
- Help systemize design across the board, developing brand guidelines, style guides, templates, and presentations as necessary.
Skills and qualifications:
- You believe that a picture is worth 1,000 words and that graphic design is a storytelling vehicle in and of itself and not just a way to make things look pretty. You know how to distill a complicated idea into a single graphic.
- You’ve worked directly on paid digital media campaigns, producing social media and digital specific ads.
- You’re an expert in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and other tools of the trade with a demonstrated track record of executing ideas on tight turnaround times.
- You’re not a one-trick pony: you know how to tell stories through a variety of aesthetics and techniques.
- You have a great eye for style, design, and typography with a strong, diverse portfolio of examples to back it up
- You have an insatiable curiosity for new and innovative design techniques and solutions.
- You know how to fold data and analytics insights into your work and adjust it as needed.
- You’re accustomed to collaborating fluidly across a number of digital communication platforms, including email, Slack, Asana, Frame.io, Google Docs, and video conferencing.
Big plus if you have:
- Multilingual fluency, particularly Spanish
- UX design experience
- Motion graphics experience
- Illustration skills
- Animation skills
- Fluency in meme and animated GIF culture and experience making them
Along with your resume, please include a website, portfolio, work samples, or reel demonstrating your previous work. If you’ve only had the opportunity to work on traditional political ads or on creatively safe projects, that’s OK — show us what you do when no one is looking, what hits the cutting room floor, spec work, or your personal passion projects to show us what you can really do.
Contract rate starting at: $6,667/month
The contract rate will be commensurate with experience. We believe in compensating hard work, talent, and innovation, especially because of our progressive values, not despite them. The position is preferably based in Washington, D.C., or New York City but can be remote as well.
Interested? Click here to submit your application. You look forward to hearing from you!
ACRONYM is a 501(c)4 digital campaign lab and an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.