ACRONYM is a nonprofit organization committed to building power and digital infrastructure for the progressive movement. Since its creation in March 2017, ACRONYM has run dozens of targeted media programs to educate, inspire, register, and mobilize voters, and has worked with dozens of partners to accelerate their advocacy programs and investments.
ACRONYM is seeking a Data Scientist to help us advance this work. This is a full-time position and can be based in Washington, D.C., or New York.
Senior Data Scientist – Computational Social Science
Reporting to: Chief Scientist
- You’re interested in the intersection of data, tech, and politics to further the progressive mission. You’re dedicated to combining innovative data sources with the best modeling and approaches to causal inference to determine what works and what doesn’t.
- You can bring creativity and new ideas and aren’t afraid to fail. You transparently communicate about mistakes so that everyone on your team learns from them.
- You have a basic understanding of causal inference and experience analyzing experimental data. You have a basic understanding of survey data, power, pre-post designs, conditional average treatment effects, etc.
- You have a great deal of ETL experience/automating data workflows using Linux/command line tools, SQL, modern distributed data frameworks (Spark, Presto, BigQuery, etc.).
- You have expertise deploying and validating machine learning models: you know when to train using offline versus online approaches and understand the tradeoffs; you use existing frameworks like Sklearn, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.; and you understand the infra requirements for various models.
- You like finding new data sources and turning them into something useful.
- You are comfortable working with data from APIs and parsing JSON, XML etc.).
- You are comfortable working with cloud frameworks like AWS, Google Cloud, and/or Civis Platform.
- You understand the basics of machine learning and are eager to learn more.
- You have ~6 years of experience using either R or Python for statistics and/or machine learning. You have solid software engineering skills and prefer to create functions and/or write object oriented code rather than linear scripts.
- You’ve worked with graph (relational/network) data, preferably for modeling and machine learning.
- You have experience with web/URL data using e.g., Python’s urllib library.
- You’ve taken a few NLP/text as data courses and have used SKLearn, Gensim, Keras, NLTK, or other relevant NLP libraries.
- You have strong oral and written communication skills and can explain your ideas clearly. You value openness, you’re interested in sharing your knowledge with teammates and learning from them.
- You are responsible, organized, and understand the importance of documentation.
- You have experience using task management systems (we use Asana), and can handle a variety of projects and work with a variety of teams.
- Advanced degree in social science and/or quantitative field such as statistics, data science, mathematics, etc.
- You’re familiar with Rmarkdown and/or other automated report/dashboard-generation frameworks.
- You understand survey research: total survey error, sampling trade-offs, question-wording issues, non-response, weighting, fatigue.
- You have a deep understanding of causal inference and have experience analyzing field- and web- experiments. You understand power, pre-post designs, conditional average treatment effects, non-compliance, and differential attrition and have used frameworks like DeclareDesign.
- You have worked with digital ad platforms (Facebook, Google) or with Google Analytics.
- You have experience working on a campaign or for a similar political organization.
- You have experience trying to contact voters, volunteers, or donors.
- You’ve built charts, maps, or reports using tools using GIS tools in R, Python, etc.
- You have experience training other people, ideally on tools or technology.
- Work with the experimentation team developing methods and infrastructure for digital field experimentation to better understand what kind of messaging resonates with what kinds of people.
- Create ETL pipelines to reduce reliance on error-prone manual processes.
- Integrate state of the art methods for analyzing field experimentation and surveys.
- Support analytics-focused projects across ACRONYM, including understanding how to mobilize voters to support our Expanding the Electorate project.
- Help develop a system to create earned media metrics.
- Stand up new data systems to support relational campaigning and turnout.
- Build dashboards summarizing experimental results and other metrics.
- Train staff on how to better use existing tools and how to start using new ones.
- Work with the Communications Team to produce reports and newsletters. Work with partners and media to identify additional needs and conduct exploratory data analysis for additional insights.
Compensation + benefits
Starting salary: $150,000 / annually
We believe in compensating hard work, talent and innovation, especially because of our progressive values, not despite them. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
ACRONYM also offers a competitive benefits package including a full suite of health benefits, paid time off, and flexible working arrangements.
Interested? Click here to submit your application. We look forward to hearing from you!
Our Commitment to Equitable Hiring
ACRONYM is a 501(c)4 digital campaign lab and an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.