WASHINGTON – ACRONYM was founded four years ago to build power and digital infrastructure for the progressive movement. Since 2017, under the leadership of founder Tara McGowan, our organization has revolutionized online voter registration and mobilization programs, invested in building civic media, ran the most sophisticated digital advertising campaign in the 2020 presidential election, and provided invaluable resources to the progressive community along the way.
Now, ACRONYM will grow into a new chapter under new leadership in 2021 and beyond. Effective May 31st, we will be making the following changes to our leadership and work:
- Tara McGowan will depart her roles as CEO of both ACRONYM and PACRONYM to focus full-time on other endeavors. (Read Tara’s letter here)
- ACRONYM will divest all ownership stake in Courier Newsroom, a public benefit corporation that ACRONYM helped to incubate in 2019
- A new steering committee has been formed to lead planning for a re-structured organization with a renewed focus on building digital infrastructure at the state level in the coming weeks. These steering committee members include:
- Ray Paultre, Florida Alliance
- Melissa Morales, Somos Votantes
- Michael Podhorzer, AFL-CIO
- Denise Cardinal, WIN Minnesota and Committee on States
- Colleen Loper, Way to Win
- Adrianne Shropshire, Black PAC
We are so grateful for Tara’s bold vision and leadership in founding our organization and guiding our work over these past four years, and we’re excited that ACRONYM will continue to play an integral role driving innovation in our movement in the months and years to come.